ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2018  |  Volume : 14  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 28-35

To evaluate effectiveness of flap surgery in patients of grades 3 and 4 pressure ulcers


Department of Burns and Plastic Surgery, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Rohtak, Haryana, India

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Sudhanshu Punia
41, Gautam Apartments, DDA, SFS, Flats, Gautam Nagar, New Delhi – 110049
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/njps.njps_9_18

Rights and Permissions

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the effectiveness of flap surgery for grades 3 and 4 pressure ulcers. DESIGN AND SETTING: Patients were included in this prospective study conducted in the Department of Burns and Plastic Surgery, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Rohtak, along with the institute’s Paraplegia Unit. The outcome of flap surgery was assessed. PARTICIPANTS: The sample size was of 25 spinal cord injury patients with grades 3 and 4 pressure ulcers. INTERVENTION: After wound preparation, flaps were used to cover the resultant defect. OUTCOME MEASURES: The outcome was assessed on the parameters of wound dehiscence, flap necrosis, and recurrence. RESULTS: Points were allotted for the overall outcome assessed over the said parameters, 92% of the patients had excellent outcome and the remaining 8% had a good outcome, proving that flap surgery is extremely effective in management of patients with pressure ulcers. CONCLUSION: Pressure ulcers are a common sequalae of spinal cord injury. Irrespective of the cause, a patient of spinal cord injury would develop a pressure injury at some point of time. Pressure ulcers were best treated with flap surgery, after thorough debridement including dead or necrotic bone, along the special care to positioning.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed466    
    Printed76    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded7    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal